Chateau de Cenevieres records date back as early as 767, after four years of battle, fell from the hands of Waiffre de Gaiffier, Duke of Aquitaine, into those of King Pepin le Bref (Charlemagne's father). A more interesting period in the chateaux's history is between 1561 and 1616 when Antoine de Gourdon, state advisor and captain of an army 50 men strong, played an important role as head of the Huguenots during the Wars of Religion.
Jeanne d'Albre, de Gourdon converted to Protestantism by the Queen, and played host to the young Henri de Navarre (future King Henri IV). Other leading lights to visit Chateau de Cenevieres at this time include Theodore de Beze and poets Quercynnois Clement Marot and Olivier de Magny. Later in 1580, when de Gourdon helped Henri take Cahors, de Gourdon became gouvernor of Cahors. During the Revolution in 1792, Chateau de Cahors was plundered by the revolutionaries of Carjac.
Chateau de Cenevieres has undergone continued restoration work since the revolution. Today, Chateau de Cenevieres is owned by Madame de Braquilangues who opened the castle to the public in 1957. The wall paintings are exquisite with scenes of the Trojan War and Atlas and Hercules holding up the world. Art exhibitions usually take place at Chateau de Cenevieres throughout the summer plus medieval days for family fun with re-enacted battles and musical performances.
Located 6 km from Saint-Cirq Lapopie in the Lot France
Tel: +33 (0)5 65 31 27 33
Address: Chateau de Cenevieres: Cenevieres, 46330, Lot, France