- Property for sale
- Holiday Guides
- What's new?
- My Shortlist
- Advertise with us
La Lodge - Farmhouse Holiday Rental in St Gervais, Charente, France
Holiday Cottage/Gite with Swimming Pool & disabled access in Charente, France
If you are looking for a cottage or rural gite in this beautiful part of Poitou-Charentes, then look no further. La Lodge is a traditional 18th century farmhouse with beautiful views across the valley. We include games, snooker table, cycles and AV facilities for in-house entertainment on the rare days that the sun might not shine.
The newly renovated fenced pool offers exclusive and private use and has a childrens play area with stepped access. There is a grassed play area with swings; and to the rear of the property a paved patio invites quiet lounging with views across the valley, or alfresco dining.
A newly modified bathroom and two bedrooms on the the ground floor of the house make the property highly suitable for those with limited mobility or wheelchairs, whilst a further shower room/WC and three bedrooms upstairs offer flexibility for a second family to enjoy privacy. Small groups visiting out of school holidays should enquire about special rates. See our video by using a google search for ChezRouffaud.
A maid service is available by arrangement.
Because our rates are so competitive, we tend to book up early. If you wish to make a peak season booking for next year, then you can secure this at current rates if you book at least 12 months in advance.
Holiday Accommodation at La Lodge
La Lodge sleeps 5 - 12 people in 5 bedrooms on two floors, and has two bathrooms, making it ideal for two families to share. It has been recently refurbished, equipped with new furniture and enjoys oil-fired central heating and an enclosed log fire if you visit in winter. Access can be gained to ground-floor rooms without negotiating steps, and the newly modified bathroom is particularly suitable for those with limited or wheelchair mobility.
- Lounge - - through an entrance porch into the spacious oak-beamed lounge with log fire. There are two 3-seater settees, a double bed/settee and a large refectory dining table with 8 chairs. The table can extend to seat 12.
- Kitchen - with fridge; gas cooker; electric oven, microwave/grill; toaster;. Filtered water for drinking.
- Utility Room - Dishwasher and Washing machine and Tumble Drier
- Bathroom and toilet are now a single disabled-friendly wet-room.
- Bedroom 1 - a double bedroom, overlooking front garden
- Bedroom 2 - a double bedroom, also overlooks the front garden
- Bedroom 3 - a large family room bisected by old oak beams, with two windows out onto a front garden. A double bed is located at the far side of this room, and a single bed for children if required.
- Bedroom 4 - twin bedroom with single bed and double bed-setee. Window onto the garden.
- Bedroom 5 - a medium-sized double bedroom looking down onto the garden, with its own staircase and an extra single 'admiral's bed' .
- Shower/wash room/WC
The front garden is discreetly screened by hedges and walls to give you a high level of privacy and safety for children. The filtered swimming pool with paved surround and regulation safety railings is ideal for evening barbecues and lounging. The pool has undergone a major refit in 2011 to provide a shallow stepped entry with a generous area for small children to play whilst others can swim in the main section. If you want to enjoy a quieter area away from the pool, then the rear patio area is ideal for reading or dining alfresco.
- Pool - The free and exclusive use of the filtered swimming pool and loungers is provided.
- Garden - swing seat.
- Cycles - There are 4+ cycles available for your use. Please ask for these EXTRA facilities.
- Games - There is a good supply of games and a snooker table for use indoors.
- Books - We have a wide selection of novels and books for you read.
- Music/AV - There are a number of radio/CD players and music Cd's. There are also BRITISH Satellite TVs in the lounge and studio bedroom with home cinema facilities and Video/DVD replay facilities with a good DVD and video library.
- Utilities - Dishwasher & Laundry and reserve gas cooker.
About St Gervais in Charente, Poitou Charentes
Chez Rouffaud is located in the countriside of the Charente area near the border of Vienne and Charente within the rolling foothills of the Plateau de Gentioux. This is the place to stay if you want a tranquil holiday with very private facilities, yet close to beautiful scenery, chateaux, great restaurants and water sports. It is tucked away near the hamlet of St. Gervais, between the old towns of Ruffec and Confolens. The surrounding countryside consists of woods and farmland with meandering rivers passing through charming towns and villages. The adjacent village of Nanteuil-en-Vallée is a wonderful example, with beautifully maintained old properties meandering up the hillside near an old abbey. There are lovely rivers for fishing and streams and the locality is provided with interesting cycle tracks and small lanes for interesting walks.
To give the regular 'cook' a holiday, there is a friendly and low-cost Relais (cafe/bar/restaurant) within close walking distance of the house. Four course meals with wine were available in 2012 at a cost of 12€. There are also good a-la-carte restaurants nearby in Nanteuil and Champagne Mouton which offer high quality food at low prices. For kitchen supplies, a small supermarket and filling station are located at Champagne Mouton, with larger ones at Ruffec.
If you like to explore at a steady rate, then you can walk or use the cycles provided to see the countryside and rivers which are rich in wildlife; - ideal for bird-spotting or nature watching. The nearby villages of St Gervais, Nanteuil-en-Vallée and the larger towns of Ruffec and Confolens all have their own medieval charm but when you need a break from all this culture, the Vallée des Singes and Futuroscope are just two of the many tourist attractions which are found in the area. For those who want the sea, the very chic town of La Rochelle offers a classic French town with miles of golden beaches:- 1hr 20min.
See Local guide and map for information on nearby towns and facilities.
How To Get To St Gervais in Charente, South West France
Plane: Chez Ruffaud is situated 13 km East of Ruffec (midway between Poitiers and Angouleme) and easily accessed from "low-cost" airports at Poitiers, Angouleme, Limoges, La Rochelle or Bordeaux, depending on your local airport.
Train: If you do not like flying, then High Speed Trains via Eurostar and TGV to Poitiers compete with cost and the total journey times by air. Remember - French trains do not have the same luggage restrictions as planes, are very fast and punctual. Book early for exceptional discounts.
Ferries: If you are travelling from the North of England, consider sailing overnight from the Port of Hull and have a conveniently refreshed 08:00 start for the day's drive to the house, arriving early evening. Ferries to Brittany provide a very manageable start for the drive on the excellent French roads. Check the links at the bottom of this site to Chateau Vary for the discount ferry options from the South of England which are VERY affordable and fast. Alternatively the Eurotunnel (fast, flexible times) or Ferry services from Dover, or overnight crossings from the southern ports can deliver you to France for a morning start on your journey.
Road: Thank the Lord for French road systems! - fast, well maintained and un-crowded. The drive from the Northern coast is made simpler by the Autoroute system which will deliver you to Poitiers, and from there the N10 provides a fast and pleasant drive to Ruffec. Take the D740 East towards Champagne Mouton and Confolons and you will arrive at Chez Rouffaud some 2 km after Nanteuil en Vallée, 20 mins later.
See Local guide and map for information on nearby towns and airports.
Facilities at La Lodge
|Bedrooms||4 double, 1 twin|
|Suitability||Non-smoking, Suitable for children, Suitable for the elderly, Wheelchair access|
|Linen||Bed linen is available at a small extra cost, but guests should provide their own towels.|
|Internal facilities||Air conditioning, Board Games, CD player, Central heating (oil), DVD player, Electric heaters, English satellite TV, Exclusive rental, Fans in rooms, Hairdryer, Hi-fi system, Owner not on site, Radio, TV, VCR, Weekly maid service, Wood burning fire or stove|
|Kitchen facilities||Combination microwave, Cooker, Dishwasher, Electric oven, Freezer, Fridge, Fridge-Freezer, Gas hob, Gas oven, Ironing facilities, Microwave, Tumble dryer, Washing machine|
|External features on site||Barbecue, Garden, Scenic views, Swimming pool (exclusive use)|
Availability at La Lodge
Availability last updated on: - Saturday, May 4, 2013
- Booked / Unavailable
|Accommodation rental period||Tariff|
|4 May 2013 - 17 May 2013||
£395.00 per property per week
|18 May 2013 - 12 July 2013||
£495.00 per property per week
|13 July 2013 - 26 July 2013||
£595.00 per property per week
|27 July 2013 - 30 August 2013||
£895.00 per property per week
|31 August 2013 - 27 September 2013||
£495.00 per property per week
|28 September 2013 - 25 October 2013||
£395.00 per property per week
|26 October 2013 - 8 November 2013||
£495.00 per property per week
Additional price information
- Prices for November - March please enquire.
- Price reduction of up to £50 for the second week.
- La Lodge is being offered at very competitive rates to encourage early bookings.
- Off season rates make it very attractive for use outside of school holidays and by couples.
- A maid-service is offered by prior arrangement. We strongly recommend this facility especially for large groups. Please enquire.
- Bed-linen hire is available at £6 per set.
- Electricity is charged at cost of 11 pence per unit
- Payment of fees by PayPal will be subject to a 3.4% surcharge.
Email the owner
To contact owner directly
(Advertising since December 2004)
Tel: + 44 (0)1904 794782
Tel 2: + 44 (0)7833666618
Tel 3: + 44 (0)7775338533
Languages spoken by owner English, French
If requested by the owner you can print out a booking form here .
Please mention French Connections.