- Property for sale
- Holiday Guides
- What's new?
- My Shortlist
- Advertise with us
River Cottage - Cottage Holiday Rental in Boudreville, Côte-d'Or, France
Idyllic 16th Century Burgundy Cottage - Self Catering or B&B
“River Cottage” is an idyllic 16th century cottage excellently positioned on the edge of the small, tranquil village of Boudreville, in the north of the Cote d’Or, Burgundy. Ideally placed to discover and explore the region, famous for its world class wine, gastronomic delights and historic villages - or simply relax away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life!
On entering the main entrance gates to the property, the beautiful countryside of the Aube valley is immediately evident with panoramic views of the peaceful and pastoral rolling hills, open fields and forests. The property itself is situated in an enclosed private 2 acre garden consisting of lawns, fruit and nut trees, meadow and woodland areas all divided by original stone walls.
The river Aube runs alongside the grounds of the property providing a haven for wildlife such as freshwater trout, otters, deer, birds and butterflies. Immediately beyond the grounds of the property, you will find tracks suitable for cycling or walking, travelling alongside the river Aube, through valley meadows or up to the higher grounds of the forest.
The cottage itself is a beautiful and historic building, which has been fully renovated by the current owners who have carefully restored many of the original features whilst providing a high level of comfort and space. One of the highlights being the large “Burgundy” style kitchen / dining room and separate sitting room showing original oak beams, large stone fireplace, open stone walls, burgundy floor tiles, and stone cut washing bowl, which historically allowed the release of water under the main window!
A butchers, bakery, grocery store and pharmacy are available in the neighbouring villages of Veuxhaulles-sur-Aube and Montigny-sur-Aube which are only 5 minutes away, with the larger supermarkets only a 15 minute drive at Chateauvillain or Chatillon-sur-Seine. Local vans call at the village during the week with fresh delivery of bread, meat / delicatessen and fish.
Holiday Accommodation at River Cottage
- Kitchen / Dining Room - large “Burgundy” style kitchen showing original features of oak beams and stone fireplace. This room provides a large fully equipped kitchen area with large oak table and chairs, which comfortably seats 8 people, giving the ideal place for enjoying a family meal in true french style. (High chair available on request). - Gas oven and hob - Fridge - Dishwasher - Microwave - Kettle - Toaster - Full range of tableware and cutlery - Coffeemaker - Extensive range of cooking equipment & utensils - Cleaning equipment
- Sitting Room - looking out on to the grounds of the property, this room is an excellent spot for relaxing. Original oak beams and stone fireplace with access to the first floor via the oak staircase; Sofa which converts easily into a double bed providing additional sleeping (bedding available on request); Selection of books / videos and children’s games; Television / Video; CD Player ; DVD player ; IPOD docking station.
- Double Bedroom - large family bedroom fitted with feature wrought iron double bed, wardrobe and large chest of draws. The room provides sufficient space to comfortably house a cot (available on request).
- Double Bedroom - overlooking the garden, this double bedroom is fitted with a double bed plus single bed and a large chest of draws.
- Bathroom - family bathroom fitted with large corner bath and integral shower, large ceramic sink area and toilet.
- Landing area with oak staircase leading to second floor.
Landing area giving access to:
- Master Bedroom - this large feature bedroom has uninterrupted views of the Aube valley, vaulted ceilings and original oak beams. Fitted with king size bed, large chest of draws and a seating area which enables you to take in the picturesque views of the surrounding countryside during the day, and at night, the moon and the stars. The room provides sufficient space to comfortably house a cot (available on request).
An additional single bed can be placed in one of the double bedrooms.
The cottage has its own enclosed private south facing garden with outdoor dining area and sunbathing terrace for relaxing.
In addition there is immediate access to the 2 acre park area, accessible solely by guests staying at “River Cottage” and the owners family. Facilities include a large garden table seating 8 people; Garden chairs; 2 Sun loungers; Portable barbecue; Sun umbrella.
The property has a private entrance with large off road parking area suitable for 2 large cars. Additional parking space on the large gravelled drive.
About Boudreville in Côte-d'Or, Burgundy
Burgundy provides a wealth of tourism opportunities for those visiting the area. The cottage is in an ideal location for a visit to many of the local popular tourist attractions.
- Chatillon-sur-Seine (15 mins) – a must to see is the archaeological museum displaying the remarkable contents of the famous tomb from Vix; treasures include the world famous "Vix Vase", bronze masterpiece dating from 600 BC and jewellery of inestimable value. Stroll around the Church of St. Vorles, one of the earliest Romanesque sanctuaries in Burgundy or enjoy a relaxing swim at the town’s indoor / outdoor swimming complex.
- Langres (30 minutes) – this walled medieval town is a fine example of local history; discover the magnificent views, explore the local museum and take a stroll around the outer wall of the town.
- Chateauvillain (15 mins) – venture to the Deer Park and see who can spot the most deer.
- Champagne (10 mins) - travel north to the Champagne region where many high quality and affordable champagnes can be tasted. You will find many different wines unavailable in your home supermarket; take some home to remind you of your trip to Burgundy.
- Dijon (1 hour) – a town exceptionally rich in art treasures, with its enviable architectural heritage making it one of the largest and finest of France’s “open-air museums”: the Fine Arts Museum is the richest to be found outside Paris. Dijon boasts some 600 hectares of public parks and of course stands proud with its gastronomic reputation. Browse the vast array of boutiques and speciality shops in the town centre or take in the large shopping centre situated on the outskirts of the town.
- Vineyards of Burgundy (10 mins to 2 hours) - produce such fine wines as Chambertain, Meursault, Chablis, and Pouilly-Fuissé, among others. Throughout the year Burgundy celebrates their vineyards with wine festivals where one can roam about and sample the year's vintages. Many local producers will welcome you to their door with a glass of wine to taste and an invitation to explore their cellars. Sample some of the World's great wines on the routes des vins or sample the wonderful local sparkling wine “Cremant”; guided tours available on request.
- Beaune (1 hour 20 mins) – a lively, bustling town, Beaune is the capital of Burgundy wine, rich in every sort of treasure. The fabulous Hospices de Beaune, founded in 1441 by Nicolas Rolin, chancellor of Burgundy, is a masterpiece of Flemish-Burgundian architecture, memorable for its beautiful red and gold roof tiles and its magnificent tapestries, famous worldwide and a must to see. Take a walk down the old cobbled streets and discover the wonderful history of wine, as well as delightful shops and restaurants.
- Semur-en-Auxois (1 hour) – an impressive medieval city famed for its magnificent fortified ramparts and cobbled streets, nestled within a loop of the river Armançon, which winds its way casually through the town, bordered by houses on either side.
- Alise-Ste-Reine (45 mins) – ALESIA, the famous fortified Gaulish town where Caesar defeated Vercingeorix, leader of the Gauls in 52 BC. See the incredible 360° views of the Auxois region.
- Flavigny-sur-Ozerain (45 mins) – an excellently preserved medieval village with ramparts and fortified gateways. Classed as one of the most beautiful villages in France, “Flavigny” is home to the world famous aniseed mints. Site of the filming of “Chocolat”.
- Fontenay (45 mins) – Fontenay Abbey, founded in 1118 by St. Bernard, is a prime example of a perfectly preserved Cistercian abbey.
- Epoisses (1 hour) - stroll the gardens of the château at Epoisses or sample the world famous “Epoisses” cheese, which can be purchased directly from the award-winning producers.
- Nigloland (45 mins) or Disneyland (2 hours) – try one of these popular theme parks for a thrill seeking day out with the children.
- Tonnerre (30 mins) – with history, vineyards, country cycle tracks, a fantastic Burgundian canal, sports complex, this fabulous town offers something for everyone. Or taste the award winning cheese of Chaource, to the north of the town.
See Local guide and map for information on nearby towns and facilities.
How To Get To Boudreville in Côte-d'Or, Central France
The property is ideally positioned for either road, rail or air travel. It is a 4 hour drive from Calais via the A26 Calais – Reims autoroute and then onto the A5 autoroute. Leaving the A5 at junction 23, River Cottage is a 15 minute drive south.
See Local guide and map for information on nearby towns and airports.
Facilities at River Cottage
|Living Area||100 m²|
|Suitability||Non-smoking, Suitable for children, Suitable for the elderly|
|Internal facilities||Board Games, CD player, Central heating (electric), DVD player, Hairdryer, Hi-fi system, Internet Access, Owner on site, Radio, TV, VCR|
|Kitchen facilities||Cooker, Dishwasher, Fridge, Gas hob, Gas oven, Ironing facilities, Microwave|
IPOD docking station available in the cottage.
|External features on site||Barbecue, Garden, Scenic views|
The Aube river runs alongside the property and is a very clean fresh water river ideal for swimming and relaxing by. The river can be accessed from the garden of the property.
Availability at River Cottage
Availability last updated on: - Tuesday, March 26, 2013
- Booked / Unavailable
|Accommodation rental period||Tariff|
|10 March 2013 - 3 May 2013||
€395.00 per property per week
|4 May 2013 - 24 May 2013||
€495.00 per property per week
|25 May 2013 - 5 July 2013||
€595.00 per property per week
|6 July 2013 - 26 July 2013||
€695.00 per property per week
|27 July 2013 - 30 August 2013||
€780.00 per property per week
|31 August 2013 - 27 September 2013||
€595.00 per property per week
|28 September 2013 - 20 December 2013||
€450.00 per property per week
Additional price information
- Short breaks and bed and breakfast are available off peak. Please contact us for details.
- The price is per week and includes all bedding, electricity, gas, cots and highchairs.
- Towels are not included in the price.
- A non-refundable 25% deposit is payable at the time of booking
- Final settlement of outstanding rental monies payable 8 weeks before the date of arrival.
- 200€ euros (or £150.00 sterling) security damages / breakages deposit is payable at the time of final settlement ie 8 weeks before arrival. The security damages / breakages deposit will be returned to you by euro or sterling cheque within 2 weeks of your departure following inspection of the cottage.
- Laundry service available on request.
- Payment can also be made in sterling based on conversion on the weekly euro rental amount .
- No cleaning charge is made but guests are asked to leave the property clean and tidy.
- The property is fully professionally cleaned for you prior to your arrival with all beds made with fresh linen.
Email the owner
To contact owner directly
(Advertising since January 2005)
Tel: + 33 (0) 3 80 93 56 86
Languages spoken by owner English, French
If requested by the owner you can print out a booking form here .
Please mention French Connections.