- Property for sale
- Holiday Guides
- What's new?
- My Shortlist
- Advertise with us
Bas Seneuil - Farmhouse Holiday Rental in Vanxains, Dordogne, France
Romantic Old Farmhouse with Private Pool
The 163 year old traditional Perigordine farmhouse for up to 6 people has been in the family for over 35 years. In its original conversion we took great care to preserve its character. Recently the house has been further upgraded and redecorated throughout. The local mellow limestone walls, large open fireplace, old oak beams and wooden floors give the house great character. House and pool are in a beautifully secluded, peaceful setting at the edge of the Foret de la Double, with extensive views down a valley of rolling farmland and woods.
Enjoy the beauties of nature at Bas Seneuil. The bird life includes an owl which lives in the barn, woodpeckers, various hawks, herons and numerous smaller birds. In the early morning more often than not you can see a pair of roe-deer coming out of the forest to graze in the meadow next to the house, as well as hares and occasionally a fox. Look out also for some very small bright green frogs climbing about in the vine on the front of the house.
If you want to get away from it all (the nearest neighbours are over 500m down the valley) and yet be within easy reach of shops and restaurants this is t h e place for you. Riberac with its famous and colourful Friday market is 3 miles away. An energetic walk or a quick bike ride gets you to Vanxains, 1 1/2 miles away, for fresh breads and croissants from a traditional boulanger or a drink in the village bar.
You can eat - and drink - on the shaded terrace enjoying the beautiful view in ever-changing light, though rainbows are not guaranteed! The evening light on the hills opposite the house makes a perfect backdrop to sipping your glass of wine or Pineau de Charente on the terrace while listening to your favourite CD. (Don't forget to bring your favourites. Afraid we do not supply any. Tastes vary too much!) There is no light pollution, so later in the evening you can admire the night sky. Altogether a perfect spot for unwinding and/or exploring the many marvellous sites of the Dordogne as well as enjoying the numerous activities.
Holiday Accommodation at Bas Seneuil
The stone built farmhouse is in an acre of colourful garden with large grassy areas front and back for children to play . The accommodation is much more spacious than you might think from the photo. All rooms are beautifully cool in the heat of the summer thanks to the traditional thick stone walls.
Several fruit trees in the garden producing delicious white peaches, pears, plums, grapes and figs are available for you to pick according to season. Around the house you will find thyme, mint, rosemary and bay.
- Kitchen - modern fully equipped with gas hob and extractor fan above, combined microwave and conventional oven, large fridge with freezer compartment, dishwasher, double sink, ample cutlery, crockery, glasses, cooking utensils and dishes.
- Dining room - this is up 2 steps from the kitchen, a spacious room with large pine farmhouse table which will seat 6 - 8. Pine dressers, direct access through French door to shaded terrace with table and chairs.
- Living room - large room with original farmhouse open fireplace, oak beams, comfortable rattan settee, 4 main rattan armchairs, coffee table and other small tables, TV (at the moment only English satellite) and DVD player, mini music centre.
- Bedroom 1 - with two single beds and good clothes storage space and large window looking on to the front garden.
- Bedroom 2 - also with two single beds, clothes storage space in a chest of drawers, large window looking on to the back garden. As we restrict the house to 6 people, this bedroom is useful for a child or adult who needs to be on their own, but also for extra storage.
- Bathroom - bath with shower, washbasin, heated towel rail and wall-mounted fan heater, hairdrier.
- Shower room - immediately adjoining the bedrooms, with shower and washbasin.
- Separate WC - next to bathroom.
- Utility room - washing machine, ironing board and steam iron, vacuum cleaner. Second small oven for cooking/warming food & plates.
- Bedroom 3 - with two single beds (can be moved together to make a double), original oakbeams giving great character, with washbasin, wardrobe and chest of drawers.
- Bedroom 4 - also with two single beds (can be moved together to make a double), original oakbeams, with washbasin, wardrobe and chest of drawers. Both upstairs bedrooms now have an even lighter feel due to changed ceilings (not shown in the video)
- Separate WC - between the two bedrooms.
French door from dining room leads to shaded terrace with table and chairs for outdoor eating, while enjoying the view down the valley.
In front of the house is a sunny, sheltered courtyard in the angle between the house and the huge, unconverted barn, used to provide shady parking.
In the well-screened garden at the back is the pool, 11x5m (exclusive use) with steps for easy access. It is in full sun with a paved surround and ample provision of loungers, table, chairs and parasols. Nearby is a shaded area under an old pear tree for hammock and table tennis, boules and charcoal barbecue. For the protection of small children the whole backgarden area containing the pool is separated from the front by a wooden fence & gates on both sides of the house.
About Vanxains in Dordogne, Aquitaine
Bas Seneuil is 3 miles from the market town of Riberac in the Dordogne, half way between Angouleme (35 miles) and Bergerac (35 miles). Riberac has a full range of shops, several supermarkets, excellent restaurants, pizzarias and take-aways, cafes and bars as well as an internet cafe. There is a very large, colourful market every Friday morning where a wide range of delicious local produce is on sale. Even closer to the house (one and a half miles) is the small village of Vanxains with a good village shop (with bar and snacks), open seven days a week where basic groceries and drinks can be bought. A wide variety of traditional breads, croissants etc. can be bought in the village boulangerie off the market square.
There are so many local attractions and sightseeing possibilities to suit all tastes within easy distance that it is impossible to list them all. Here is a selection of some of the best.
BOURDEILLES (20 miles) impressive medieval and renaissance castle, beautifully furnished.
BRANTOME (25 miles) with its abbey, old town, superb restaurants overlooking the river Dronne, also offers canoeing down the Dronne as well as boat trips.
PERIGUEUX (25 miles), the old capital of Périgord and a beautifully restored old town with romanesque cathedral and roman arena.
BERGERAC (35 miles)an attractive old town with tobacco museum. Just south of Bergerac is the impressive Chateau of Monbazillac, centre of a famous dessert wine producing region.
ST EMILION (55 miles), surrounded by its famous vineyards, is the place to sample local wine as well as explore the picturesque old town with its narrow streets and tiny squares.
BORDEAUX (75 miles away, 50 miles of which is motorway) is of course the centre of the world-famous wine-producing region of that name. It naturally boasts many fine restaurants. The old town is in the midst of large scale restoration to bring back its old grandeur.
LES EYZIES and the VEZERE VALLEY (60 miles) contain some of the world's most remarkable prehistoric sites with their famous cave paintings as well as dramatic caves with their stalactites and stalagmites - Lascaux, Grotte de Font-de-Gaume, Grotte du Grand Roc. The valley itself is exceptionally beautiful and boasts several very fine castles.
THE DORDOGNE VALLEY with its castles, picturesque towns and villages and beautiful countryside is justly famous as an exceptional tourist attraction. The 100mile stretch up-river from Bergerac is one of the most beautiful drives imaginable with literally hundreds of sites and sights to enjoy!
See Local guide and map for information on nearby towns and facilities.
How To Get To Vanxains in Dordogne, South West France
Bas Seneuil is almost exactly 500 miles from Calais, either via Rouen and Tours or via Paris and Tours, and takes 8 hours driving without stops. From Caen allow 6 hours.
The house is about 90 minutes drive from Bordeaux airport, depending on traffic conditions round Bordeaux (ie. more in rushhour); 60 minutes drive to Bergerac airport.
Angouleme station, where the TGV from both Lille and Paris stops, is just under 1 hour's drive. Limoges and Poitiers, which both have airports, are about 2 hours' drive away.
Check for cheap flights to Bergerac, Limoges and Poitiers.
See Local guide and map for information on nearby towns and airports.
Facilities at Bas Seneuil
|Living Area||140 m²|
|Suitability||Suitable for children, Suitable for the elderly|
|Linen||Linen and towels can be hired for £5 per person per stay.|
|Internal facilities||Board Games, CD player, DVD player, Electric heaters, English satellite TV, Hairdryer, Hi-fi system, Owner not on site, Radio, TV, Wood burning fire or stove|
|Kitchen facilities||Combination microwave, Dishwasher, Electric oven, Fridge, Gas hob, Ironing facilities, Washing machine|
|External features on site||Barbecue, Garden, Scenic views, Swimming pool (exclusive use)|
Availability at Bas Seneuil
Availability last updated on: - Thursday, February 21, 2013
- Booked / Unavailable
|Accommodation rental period||Tariff|
|31 March 2012 - 4 May 2012||
£400.00 per property per week
|5 May 2012 - 29 June 2012||
£600.00 per property per week
|30 June 2012 - 31 August 2012||
£950.00 per property per week
|1 September 2012 - 28 September 2012||
£600.00 per property per week
|29 September 2012 - 2 November 2012||
£400.00 per property per week
Additional price information
- Arrivals after 4pm and departures by 10am.
- Rent includes cleaning at the end of each stay.
- A deposit of 20% (non-refundable) is required on booking, the balance is payable 8 weeks before arrival date.
- Together with the balance payment a safety deposit of £200 is due. This will be held until the cleaner's report after your stay.
- Bedlinen and towels can be hired for £5 per person, also payable with the balance.
Email the owner
To contact owner directly
(Advertising since February 2005)
Tel: + 44 (0)1580 766312
Tel 2: + 44 (0)7968 228331
Fax: + 44 (0)1580 766312
Languages spoken by owner English, German, French
If requested by the owner you can print out a booking form here .
Please mention French Connections.