- Property for sale
- Holiday Guides
- What's new?
- My Shortlist
- Advertise with us
L'Ecurie - Gîte Holiday Rental in Vira, Pyrénées-Orientales, France
Picturesque Gite with Terraces in Idyllic Mountain Village with Views
Vira less than an hour’s drive from Perpignan airport in Pyrenean foothills.
This charming and totally self contained gite is part of “La Grange” a lovingly converted stone sheep barn in the foothills of the Pyrenees. It is situated in the Pyrenean village of Vira, one of the most picturesque villages in the area and offers lovely views over the surrounding valleys and forests. Forty miles west of Perpignan, Vira is totally unspoilt and is on the edge of the Foret de Boucheville. The small village has a plan d’eau with its own barbecue area, a delightful 12th century church and a marie, where the mayor is happy to provide all the information visitors require about the many delights of the area.
La Grange hugs the side of the mountain and is situated in the edge of the village. Unspoilt tracks through the adjoining forest and hills are on the doorstep - literally.
An ideal location for nature lovers looking for activities such as walking riding, cycling on the numerous well-marked trails. It is also perfect for those who just want to relax in the sun and enjoy the wonderful wildlife. All around is unspoiled landscape, vineyards, hills forests, valleys, mountains, rivers, gorges and waterfalls. In early Spring and Summer the almond and cherry blossom, the wild flowers and orchids, herbs, butterflies and bird life are a never-to-be-forgotten experience.
This is the heart of the largest wine region in France and their are plenty of opportunities for free wine tasting at the numerous local caves. You are also in Cathar country where there are at least four castles to visit a short drive away. The area enjoys some of the driest and warmest weather in France with blue skies most of the year round. Summer temperatures up to 34 degrees are common with the cool mountain breeze at night being a welcome benefit.
The Mediterranean sea and long sandy beaches are only 40 miles away and sea temperatures are warm enough to swim well into October.
Ski resorts to suit all level of skier can also be reached within 30 miles.
Holiday Accommodation at L'Ecurie
L’Ecurie is lovingly restored and converted with all mod-cons, yet still retaining the simple charm of a mountain stone house. There are small steps leading through the gate up to two pretty sun terraces. The front stable door leads into the entrance lobby. There is a large sitting room with comfortable sofa and chairs where you can enjoy the beautiful view down the valley. At the other end of the room is the well equipped kitchen with eating area for four.
- Double bedroom with ensuite bathroom with bath and shower. Bedroom is equipped with French marble topped side tables with reading lights.
- There is a 2nd double Bedroom with ensuite bathroom with bath and shower. This is available at a small additional cost - please enquire with owner for details.
- Kitchen/living room has stove, fridge/freezer, gas cooker,toaster and microwave. You will find there are a few basic provisions on your arrival (e..g loo paper, washing up liquid) and a welcome bottle of wine to get you started!
- dvd player plus a small range of dvds
- The stable door from the lobby leads onto
- Split level terrace, one with wood decking, barbecue and table and chairs for eating al fresco. The lower terrace is paved in slate, both are ideal for sun-beds which are provided. There is also a large umbrella available for shade.
There are tiled floors throughout the gite, except for the bedroom floors which are finished in wood. Many original features have been retained including the original manger rails and attractive stone walls from when the property was a barn.
- La Cave (basement) – Washing machine. Plenty of room for storing bicycles and excess luggage.
- Parking Space available immediately outside.
About Vira in Pyrénées-Orientales, Languedoc Roussillon
Nearest shops are 4 miles away in Caudies de Fenouilledes. Here there is a butcher, baker, tabac, mini-supermarket, chemist, post office and restaurant. Within a 20 minute drive is St Paul de Fenouillet with a large supermarket, garage, shops and restaurants plus a Saturday market. 25 minutes west is the pretty market town of Quillan which is bustling with restaurants, shops, bars and a large supermarket complex. There is a market here every Wednesday and Saturday. There are many fine restaurants in the region serving inexpensive or gourmet food. The famous Cassoulet and Crème Catalan must be tried.
A list of recommended local restaurants will be available along with general information on Vira and L’Eurie.
Places to Visit
- The whole region remains very unspoilt, yet offers a wealth of things to do and see. There are stunning Cathar castles to explore, notably Peyreperteuse, Queribus and Puilrens.
- At Tautavel is a fascinating museum dedicated to pre-historic man and you can view the ongoing archaeological dig on giant web screens.
- The area is famous for some fine examples of Roman architecture such as the aqueduct at Ansignan, the abbey at Serrabonne and the thermal baths at Rennes le Bains where you can bathe all year round.
- Perpignan, the very Catalan capital of the region, is an hour’s drive and the beautiful medieval walled city of Carcassone 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Just south of Perpignan is the quaint historic town of Ceret, home to many famous impressionist artists who are exhibited in the museum of modern art.
- Also for art lovers is the beautiful fishing village of Collioure, which inspired the paintings of Matisse, or the Dali museum at Figueres just across the Spanish border where you can enjoy lunch on the unspoilt Costa Brava coast just an l hr 30 min drive from Vira.
- The Languedoc Rousillon is now the largest wine growing region of France and there are numerous vineyards offering the opportunity to taste the many wonderful varieties of wine on offer.
There is a wonderful free swimming pool situated in the lovely valley of Fosse one mile away.
There really is something for everyone in this region of France.
Sporting activities within an easy drive include white water rafting, canoeing, water skiing and canyoning in the stunning rivers and gorges. There is horse riding and cycling for all levels along forest tracks that meander through the hills, and follow clear mountain streams ideal for cooling off.
The area is famous for its well-marked trails to suit all levels of fitness and many of these commence from our front door! From these you can observe the abundant flora and fauna, notably butterflies, wild orchids, eagles and other flowers and birds.
An hour’s drive away is the unspoilt windswept coastline where you can wander over the dunes and find a naturists beach.
In the winter the ski slopes are less than an hour’s drive away and free of the huge lift queues experienced in the Alps. There is also great cross-country skiing.
See Local guide and map for information on nearby towns and facilities.
How To Get To Vira in Pyrénées-Orientales, South of France and the Riviera
By Air: Ryanair operate out of many airports in the area. The closest airport is Perpignan (under an hour). Carcassone (an hour and a half),Girona (two hours), Toulouse (two and a half hours) Ryannair fly from Stansted, Birmingham, Bournemouth, Dublin, Southampton etc. British Airways also serves a number of these routes.
By Train: Eurostar from London to Perpignan
Sea Crossings: There are numerous routes by car – either by ferry or across the channel by Euro Tunnel.
See Local guide and map for information on nearby towns and airports.
Facilities at L'Ecurie
|Living Area||50 m²|
|Suitability||Non-smoking, Unsuitable for wheelchair access|
|Linen||Linen and towel hire included.|
|Internal facilities||Board Games, CD player, DVD player, Electric heaters, Exclusive rental, Hairdryer, Radio|
|Kitchen facilities||Cooker, Fridge-Freezer, Gas hob, Gas oven, Ironing facilities, Microwave, Washing machine|
The price quoted for the accommodation is for 2 people. There is a spare bedroom with an ensuite bathroom for an additional 2 people. This can be arranged at a small extra cost with the owner, but does not come as standard.
|External features on site||Barbecue, Scenic views|
The gite has two pretty sun terraces and there is shade if you want it. There is a bbq, table and chairs and sun loungers. There is a stunning free outdoor swimming pool in the Fosse valley one mile away - open during July and August. There are 2 boules areas in the village.
Availability at L'Ecurie
Availability last updated on: - Tuesday, May 14, 2013
- Booked / Unavailable
|Accommodation rental period||Tariff|
|14 May 2013 - 14 June 2013||
£350.00 per property per week
|15 June 2013 - 20 September 2013||
£400.00 per property per week
|21 September 2013 - 25 October 2013||
£350.00 per property per week
|26 October 2013 - 28 March 2014||
£320.00 per property per week
|29 March 2014 - 13 June 2014||
£350.00 per property per week
Additional price information
Arrival and departure dates normally Saturday, but the owners will be flexible if possible.
Discounted rate for second and additional weeks out of season negotiable with the owners.
Long winter bookings available.
The prices advertised do not include:
- Electricity is metered in low season.
- Where additional charges arise, these should be paid before departure.
A deposit of 30% is required on booking with final payment 6 weeks before the start of the holiday. Plus a refundable damage deposit of £100.
Email the owner
To contact owner directly
(Advertising since March 2006)
Tel: + 44 (0)2072 282010
Tel 2: + 33 (0)4 68 52 31 68
Fax: + 44 (0)2072 282226
Languages spoken by owner English, French
If requested by the owner you can print out a booking form here .
Please mention French Connections.