- Property for sale
- Holiday Guides
- What's new?
- My Shortlist
- Advertise with us
Mirande near Auch. € 399,000.00 (Approx. $517,347))
The Maison du Procureur du Roi sits a few hundred yards off the main square of the small rural market and tourist town of Mirande "La Jolie" in the lovely rolling rural Gers, often known as Gascony.
The house consists of two distinct parts around a central courtyard, able to be linked to each other at each level but also capable of being entirely independent of each other.
The garden side (425 metres) which gives onto a quiet non commercial road has been entirely renovated with exceptional taste into a two/three reception, three/four bedroom, four bathroom home.
The partially developed side (360 metres and more with mezzanines) gives onto one of the main shopping streets of this charming small rural town. It already has a glass-fronted retail outlet, the lease of which expires in February 2010.
There are numerous possibilities for the building’s development. The whole would make a lovely small hotel with bar and restaurant on one side and garden with swimming pool on the other. Equally it would make a holiday apartment complex with owner’s accommodation. Or it could be a commercial venture such as a restaurant, retail outlet, or professional consulting rooms with a large family home adjacent.
There are architects plans for the development of this portion. The vendors have previously had a building company in France and would be pleased to advise on the renovations required to meet the buyer’s projected aims for the building.
The house dates back to the 15th century and is the oldest in Mirande. The property centres around the beautiful and tranquil historic courtyard with an ancient well and restored original columbage. This historically interesting house offers every convenience of French small town life to the occupier. Yet within the walled garden screened by mature trees one can enjoy a level of peace and privacy rarely encountered outside a country home.
This lovely stone house is cool in the summer with its airy rooms and the shutters which block out the cruellest rays of the midday sun. In the winter the thick walls help to retain the heat and there are several original fireplaces.
The generously proportioned rooms with ceiling heights up to 3m have numerous interesting original features, as might be expected of what was once the house of the tax collector of the “Sun King”, and evoke a sense of history and of gracious living whilst offering every modern comfort.
Mirande nestles in the heart of the lovely green rolling hills of the rural Gers yet both Toulouse and Pau airports are an hour and a half away. With the completion of the motorway at the end of 2009 the journey to Toulouse will be significantly reduced. As well as the twice weekly markets this quaint small traditional Gascon town offers bars and restaurants and shops within walking distance. Also within a short walk are a museum, fishing lake, sports fields, tennis courts, playgrounds, a fitness trail, a new water park with daredevil slides, pedal boats,archery and canoeing. Two cricket teams play locally uniting British and French communities. There are schools for all ages and a complete range of medical facilities.
Beautiful historic Gascony offers ample touristic opportunities. Take a gentle drive around the local Bastide towns or visit Lourdes. For the more adventurous try Walibi at Agen, Space City at Toulouse or swing through the trees at the local Acrobranche. The stunning Pyrenees with ski stations and numerous summer activities are little more than an hour away and the sea at Bairritz less than two.
Visit www.gascondream.com for diagnostic performance energique
Mirande near Auch
The garden house has accommodation on three floors and convertible attics offering in total in excess of 450 m² and has been immaculately restored to the highest standards. With the variety of access to the various floors, and between the various rooms, this extremely versatile layout offers great flexibility of use. Further development of both cellars and attics would provide even greater volume.
The house can be accessed either from the gated entrance into the walled garden or through the large garage which has double doors giving onto a side street. In addition to the easily accessible garage there is ample free and unlimited on-street parking.
Ground Floor Level
- Garden (21m x 14.5m) south facing. Total privacy with mature trees, shrubs, and rosebushes including large productive fig tree. Arched tunnel with productive table grape vine. Charming well in working order with continuous supply of water for irrigation. Ample space for a swimming pool.Wide stone steps to terrace giving one method of access to first floor. Arched stone corridor with access to courtyard and to:
- Room (7m x 5.64m) with massive exposed wood beams and exposed stone walls. Would suit many purposes including gym, indoor swimming pool, games room or office. Telephone/internet/television connections. Glazed doors to courtyard and door to garage 35m².
- Cellar/utility room (7.4m x 5.6m) wine cellar, laundry and boiler room.
- Courtyard (8.4m x 5.5m) surrounding walls with beautifully restored colombage. Lovely old working well with continuous supply of water.
First Floor Level
Accessed externally by steps from garden or internally by steps from ground floor to kitchen this floor offers:
- Terrace (14.4m x 1.65) this long terrace with a low retaining wall provides access to all first floor rooms through elegant glazed double doors to a width of 1.56m fitted with full wooden shutters.
- Kitchen/Diner (7.5m x 5.67m) open plan kitchen dining room with original fireplace. French windows onto terrace and garden. Further small window onto garden. Further large window onto courtyard. Access to second floor and ground floor via staircases. Access to grand salon via doorway. Access to toilet/cloakroom. Telephone/internet/television connections.
- Grand salon (7.5m x 5.63m) Elegant and spacious with elaborate ceiling features. Original fireplace with original wooden curved cupboards surrounding. Wooden floor. Two French windows onto terrace and garden and a large window onto courtyard. Two recessed alcoves. Access to third reception room via doorway. Telephone/internet/television connections.
- Third reception room (6.75m x 4m)
- Bedroom 4 – Original fireplace with wooden curved cupboards surrounding. Original tiled floor. Interesting alcove featuring housing of original water closet. One wall in exposed colombage. Door to
- Toilet/shower with small window to east. French windows onto terrace and garden. Stairs to master bedroom. Telephone/internet/television connections.
Second Floor Level
Access from first floor via staircase to open landing. Access to
- Master bedroom with en-suite bathroom on this floor from large reception room below providing the ability to have self-contained accommodation on two levels accessed from the exterior via the terrace.
- Family bathroom (2.2m x 4.4) Original wooden floors. Wide corridor with windows to courtyard. Door to external landing to access attics with option to create internal access if required.
- Bedroom 3 (3.3m x 4.4m) Original fireplace with ornamental wood and tile floor surround. Original wooden floors. Window to garden with ornamental wood and metal guard rail. Access to en-suite shower room with WC also accessed from corridor. Telephone/internet connections.
- Bedroom 2 (5.63m x 6m) Original fireplace with ornamental wood and tile floor surround. Original wooden floors. Two windows to garden with ornamental wood and metal guard rails. This room would form two spacious bedrooms with ease. Telephone/internet connections.
- Bedroom 1 (7.8m x 4.4m) with en-suite bathroom. Exposed colombage. Original fireplace with ornamental wood and tile floor surround. Original wooden floors. Window to East side with country outlook.
- Bathroom has exposed colombage and a window with south facing green outlook. Glazed door to balcony overlooking garden with cupboard for the storage of balcony furniture. Telephone/internet/television connections.
Third Floor Level
- Attics 88m² with windows to north, south and east. These are in excellent condition and plans are available for their conversion into a further two bedroom apartment or additional bedroom or office accommodations. Access can be made available independently of the main house.
On the commercial side lies a further adjacent 360 square metres of property as yet only partially renovated has fantastic historic and character features.
The ground floor of this property comprises of a large entrance hall, a retail outlet with glass frontage and storerooms. The first floor comprises currently of 2 medium size and one very large room all with original fireplaces and with the ablity to convert to one three bedroom flat, two smaller flats, or up to four hotel rooms.
The second floor has considerable height and there are architects’ plans to convert to two two bedroom flats using a mezzanine level.
See Local guide and map for information on nearby towns and facilities.
Moving to France?
To arrange a viewing or for more information, contact:
To contact seller directly
Tel: + 33 (0)5 62 59 09 75
Tel 2: + 33 (0)6 31025503
Please mention French Connections.