The Chateau de Bussas at St Jean du Gard, near Ales in the South of France, is ID 36 on our site. This means that owner Meg Campbell runs one of the first ever holiday properties to join us back in 1996 when Glynis and Michael started French Connections. We really value our team’s personal knowledge and connection to many of our holiday rentals and their owners – and we’re proud and pleased that the chateau is still going stronger than ever.
This beautiful rural gem is set in its own 200 acres of spectacular scenery. The Château dates back to 1197 and today its medieval courtyard provides entry to four individual comfortable apartments for self-catering holidays. The Bread Oven House and the newly converted Clede, both on the edge of the chateau, each provide accommodation for two. Walkers, writers, painters and poets have all enjoyed the inspiration of Bussas. There is a games room, swimming pool, barbecue, childrens’ play area and a river for swimming and fishing.
Meg has obviously seen many changes over the years, but she has held fast to the idea of excellent customer service for visitors. Here are some of her principles:
1.We have a really friendly French couple who have lived on-site as caretakers for 25 years and our guests love them. It helps to keep the ambiance French rather than British.
2. We advertise online but still insist on telephone contact with possible guests to ensure the personal touch.
3. We’re in the Cevennes National Park and I encourage guests to enjoy the stunning views, bird watching and walks. Mountain biking, canoeing, horse riding and tennis are all available locally.
3. I keep our rates at excellent value and would never ask guests to pay extra for bed linen and towels.
4. We create a homely, personal feel with books and pictures so that visitors feel like welcome guests in our home.
5. We move with the times to match the standard of peoples’ own homes and expectations. I aim to make the chateau look modern and comfortable with good facilities but still in keeping with the period character.