Now is the perfect time for an activity holiday in France, especially if you enjoy walking, cycling, riding or just being in the great outdoors. The weather is warming up, the countryside is fresh and beautiful and the evenings are long.
France has wonderfully varied landscapes and scenery and most regions offer opportunities for just about any sport or activity you can imagine. Activity holidays have become very popular among visitors to France, not least because many take several breaks a year and are looking for a new experience each time.
Some of our favourite activities and regions are:
• Walking in the Ardennes forest, Massif Central, the Dordogne and all the National Parks
• Horse riding in Normandy, the Gironde estuary, the Camargue and the Limousin, which is great for all outdoor pursuits.
• Cycling long distance routes in Burgundy and the Loire Valley
• Hang-gliding and paragliding in the Pyrenees, Corsica and the Hautes-Alpes of Provence
• Canoeing on the Dordogne, Vézère, Lot and Tarn rivers and canal-boating in the Loire, Burgundy and the Canal du Midi.
• Windsurfing on the beaches of Normandy, the Nord-Pas de Calais and the Mediterranean
An activity holiday is so easy at a gite or self-catering house, where all members of the group can mix and match the way they spend their days with flexibility. Many of our accommodation owners have a desire to pass on their own passion or hobby.
Owners really know the region and are often happy to go the extra mile to book activities, lend cycles, maps and other equipment and generally help you make the most of your holiday time. When you browse holiday rentals, look out for special mention of activities in the area and ways in which owners can help. Also scroll down the right hand side of our Accommodation home page to find Search options for regions, properties and facilities.