Headquarters of a Great Schism of cardinals who came close to toppling the authority of the popes in Rome in 14th century, it is part fortress, part showplace.
Avignon became the home of the popes in 1309, who were fleeing the violent chaos of Rome. The Palais was built between 1335 and 1364 on a natural rocky outcrop at the northern edge of Avignon, overlooking the river Rhône. The site was formerly occupied by the old episcopal palace of the bishops of Avignon.
The Popes’ Palace is the biggest Gothic palace in all of Europe and is the size of 4 Gothic cathedrals.
The Palais des Papes is in Avignon, Provence
Nov-Mar: daily 9:30am-5:45pm;
Apr-June: and Aug-Oct daily 9am-7pm;
July daily 9am-8pm
Tel: +33 (0)4 90 27 50 00
Address: Place du Palais des Papes, 6, rue Pente Rapide Charles Ansidei, 84000