This charming house is located between the villages of Vendoire and Champagne et Fontaines in the North Dordogne between the market towns of Verteillac and Villebois Lavalette and is about half an hour south of Angouleme.
This is a truly unspoilt part of the world. The house itself is secluded, south facing, stands in a lovely valley surrounded by woods, sunflower fields and vineyards and overlooks two lakes.
- Kitchen - There is a fully equipped kitchen, with a gas cooker, fridge, washing machine, and dishwasher.
- Dining Room - Adjacent to the kitchen is the dining room which has a large table and chairs with double French doors leading out onto a terrace. In the dining room there is very efficient wood burning 'Godin' stove which heats up most of the house.
- The master bedroom - is at the end of the hall off which there are a bathroom and separate shower room both with their own WC.
- The second bedroom - downstairs leads off the dining room.
- The third bedroom
- The sitting room - has a beautiful stone fireplace and double doors leading out onto a large veranda which enjoys a lovely view down the valley. This is the most perfect place to have breakfast.
- The Garden - runs all around the house with steps up to the swimming pool. The terrace outside the dining room is wonderful for out door lunches except on those really hot days when you may need to retire to the shade of the veranda. There is a small parking area away from the house.
- The pool - is fenced off and enjoys the sun from mid morning to early evening.
We have the most gorgeous covered balcony on the first floor, perfect for meals and cocktails. There is a large sitting room which can be used as an extra bedroom if needed.
The property is currently let as a successful holiday rental business. Please look at advert ref: 467 for more details.
The Local Area
There are local tennis courts available for use in neighbouring villages, Verteillac, Villbois Lavalette and others. You can walk through our small private wood to meander past two beautiful lakes on your walk down to the local village. Truly stunning landscape.
A downhill walk past the lakes of about half a mile will bring you into the village of Champagne et Fontaines.
Here you will find a few things you might need. A post office (stamps that taste nice!!), a bar to sample the 'Pinaud' (the local fortified wine), where a little French will keep you and the locals amused for hours. The owners try to encourage their guests to use the local shops, however over the last few years we have lost a few so for more substantial shopping trips there are two excellent supermarkets within twenty minutes drive.
There is masses to do and see in the locality. It almost goes without saying that this part of France boasts some of the best restaurants in the world and with Cognac, Bordeaux and St Emillion just down the road one can enjoy the most superb meals at a very reasonable price. There is more good food and wine to be found in the excellent markets which are worth going to just for the atmosphere. There are plenty of chateaux, vineyards and historical sites to visit. Locally available sporting activities include tennis, golf, canoeing (great fun!), fishing swimming and riding.
Nearest bakery: Champagne et Fontaine (Dordogne)
Nearest bar: Villebois Lavalette (charente) - Super U. Has all you need.
Nearest market: Villebois Lavalette (charente) - Saturday mornings, tiny local market specialising in champagne and oysters in the summer.
Nearest pharmacy: Villebois Lavalette (charente) - Very good , new pharmacy.
Nearest supermarket: Champagne Et Fontaine (dordogne) - Small, very local bar, has been run by the same lady forever......