Contact the owner
Contact the owner directly
Neil & Jennifer Solomons
(Advertising since February 2018)
Tel: + 60 (0) 12 551 8642
Website: visit owners website.
Please mention French Connections.
Saltre Grande (1 / 22)
The Master Suite .... (2 / 22)
And so to bed .... (3 / 22)
A thoroughly relaxing room .... (4 / 22)
The Master Bathroom ... (5 / 22)
The twin bedroom (6 / 22)
On arrival .... (7 / 22)
Grande - from the kitchen .... (8 / 22)
A spot in the shade ... (9 / 22)
This ... is what it's all about ... (10 / 22)
The East terrace - breakfast anyone? (11 / 22)
Lunch on the West Terrace? (12 / 22)
Time for a dip? (13 / 22)
Time for a dip? (14 / 22)
A pretty spot to relax .... (15 / 22)
Petite .... characterful and welcoming (16 / 22)
Petite's kitchen - spacious with a pretty view (17 / 22)
Petite's sitting room with terrace door beyond (18 / 22)
Petite - from the sitting room to the West Terrace - what views! (19 / 22)
Petite's Double Bedroom (20 / 22)
Petite's twin bedroom (21 / 22)
Petite - the lunch terrace (22 / 22)
For a group of 8 guests (plus 2 children as we have a sofa bed in the second bedroom at Grande) both properties, Saltre Grande and Saltre Petite are ideal. Saltre then offers a holiday home for 8 guests, 4 in each property - ideal for those of you with children/extra guests/two families holidaying together. IMPORTANT - Saltre Petite is only available for rental as add-on accommodation to Saltre Grande during the summer months. Should you choose to have Saltre Grande for a party of 4 of then Petite will remain empty - we not offer shared holidays at Saltre unless you, the guest, wishes it.
Saltre Grande is an architect-designed, stone country house sitting on 16 glorious acres. It offers two double bedrooms, a magnificent sitting room with wrap around fireplace and a kitchen/dining room of great proportions. Together with Saltre Petite, just 50 m away, Saltre Grande and Petite offers 4 double bedrooms (with a sofa bed for small children in Grande) in complete privacy with a beautiful, private pool. The property, on top of a hill, which used to be a fruit farm, is an escape from it all -quiet, beautiful and very natural. The surrounding countryside is breath taking and for star-gazers, the skies, with their lack of light pollution, are simply stunning.
Saltre Petite is around 100 years old and is built of old stone. However, it has been fully refurbished in 2016 – renovated and modernized. The thick stone walls keep the rooms cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The accommodation is all on one level so is ideal for both small children and those with mobility issues. The floors are fully tiled throughout and every room has a window so light fills the cottage. There is a separate access to the Pool Barn from Petite so Saltre easily splits into two separate accommodations should you wish to holiday with another family but still keep a little distance. This also makes it an ideal option should there be three generations of you - ideal for us when our children arrive with their small children!
Petite only can be easily used by wheelchair users and those with difficulties using steps. Petite has wide door ways and the accommodation is all on one level.
Petite offers a sitting room, a dining area, a large kitchen, two bedrooms (both bedrooms sleep 2) and two shower rooms with WC. There are two large terraces and throughout, the views of the countryside are stunning.
- The sitting room, with its Farrow & Ball painted walls, offers a relaxed yet stylish atmosphere with two double sofas. There is a very effective real log fire for the cooler months and access to the western terrace through double glass door. This terrace has a stunning, panoramic view of the farming countryside with a glimpse of Monflanquin, the 12 Century ‘bastide’ village, on the horizon. As the terrace faces west it is the perfect place for a sundowner. Shade is provided however from an old and very beautiful plane tree. There is a DVD player (plus TV but this is only supplied for the video player) and a music system. Please feel free to use any of the books/DVDs you might find (no guarantees how up to date they are however!).
- There are two good-sized bedrooms, one with two single beds, the other, with a double bed. In the double bed room there is an en-suite shower and WC. The second bathroom is situated next door to the single bedded room and provides a large shower and WC.
- The kitchen is generous and fully equipped – oven, gas hob, microwave etc., with plenty of work surfaces and through the large windows lovely views to the Pool Barn just beyond. There is a dish washer in the kitchen also. A washing machine is provided also.
- There is a large, vine-covered terrace to the front of the Cottage providing a lovely spot for al fresco dining - breakfast, lunch or supper. We use this area most of all and has the been the spot for many a supper eaten well into the night! The second terrace, over looking the valley below to the west of the property, is a fabulous spot to watch the sun disappear late into the summer night.l
- There is also a dining area inside Petite should you wish to eat in, complete with a local artist’s wall mural to add to the cosy, stylish atmosphere. All the windows have automatic shutters, ideal for keeping cool. If you’re visiting in the winter the heating system is very effective with large radiators which heat up extremely quickly.
PLEASE NOTE - Petite is an ideal, cosy hideaway in the winter months and is available as a separate let only during the non 'summer' months when Grande is not available to rent. For a real getaway-from-it-all Christmas this is an ideal retreat. Please contact Jennifer for further details. Please visit our ‘Images’ page for further photos of the Cottage.
Saltre Grande Description - From the gravel drive one enters the wood double front door to a large entrance hall from which a wide, shallow, wood staircase takes you to
- The Sitting Room has two large sofas with a large coffee table between and numerous chairs. The ceilings are over double height here and the exposed roof beams provide an impressive view. There are three sets of tall double doors (glazed) to the outside terraces and wonderful views from each. The feature staircase to the Master Bedroom is to one side. There is a TV/DVD player (for DVD watching only) together with a music system.
- The Kitchen is open to the sitting room from two extremely high arched openings – the large fireplace sits in between these arches so is open on both sides. On the kitchen side the fireplace is on the ground floor but on the sitting room side it becomes a raised fire – due to the differing levels of the house. The Kitchen is simply but effectively furnished with a large stainless steel range combining a gas hob with an electric oven, a micro-wave, a super-silent dishwasher and a Nespresso coffee machine (please note: we do not supply the coffee capsules, you will need to bring these with you) and a large white butler’s sink. The tall cupboards house all the necessary china/glasses and so forth whilst drawers hold pots and pans – there’s even a specially made baguette drawer …… only the French. From the kitchen there are two sets of double doors on each side of the house which provide access to two terraces, both of which are large enough to take meals. One is covered (west facing for sunset views) so can be used even if there a rain shower or hot sun and offers an impressive view over the valley. We tend to use this one for supper. The original beams saved from the old farmhouse are used here – you can’t miss them due to their interesting shape! The other (south-east facing: perhaps for a relaxed breakfast?) has a more intimate view from the front of the house over the original stone well (safely covered!) and the 300 year old olive tree with the private grounds stretching beyond. Both terraces have furniture provided. There are mature trees offering shade to both terraces.
- The Dining area is integral to the kitchen and is lit from high up on the open beams by a large chandelier. The large fruitwood table (seats 8 comfortably) was bought at auction in London but rather satisfyingly originated from France . When suitably lit for supper, the room is super-inviting and with the terrace doors wide open, provides a beautiful setting for even the simplest of meals.
- The American style fridge-freezer is housed conveniently in the utility room next door which also provides deli-style shelves for all your groceries etc. Here you will also find a washing machine, tumble dryer and ample space should you want to store suitcases etc., out of bedrooms. There is also a drying rack for clothes and a separate double sink.
- From the Entrance Hall there is access to Bedroom Two which is situated at one end of the house. As a result it has three gorgeous views – one of which is through a double glazed door which gives easy, private access to the garden and Pool Barn. There are two generous single beds, a sofa-bed (for children) and a large wardrobe with both hanging space and drawers. The doors for this wardrobe were imported from India . The room is light and airy with low level windows and deep window sills. There is a floor-standing fan.
- Also from the Hall is a door to the large Shower Room/downstairs loo. This is situated right next door to Bedroom Two. There is an extremely large ‘rain’ style walk-in shower together with a feature wash hand basin and of course a loo. There is a large double window with a view over the valley.
- The Master Bedroom is situated above the Sitting Room and takes full advantage of the feature roof beams. The room is double-aspect. There is a king-sized bed, a large Thai day-bed, and a double window with a view over the valley. There is a wooden floor and there are two large glazed doors which take you to the balcony which affords a view over the Pool Barn and to the front of the house. There is a floor-standing fan. Dark louvered double doors lead you into the Dressing/Bath room:
- The Dressing room/Bathroom off the Master Bedroom had its own special planning committee during the build! A feature bath is set onto a cantilevered platform with wrap around windows providing an impressive view of the distant village of Monflanquin . The large walk-in ‘rain’ style shower is opposite the bath so enjoys a similar view. There are two wash hand basins set on Lombok style dark wood dressers and a loo with a bidet. There are two wardrobes fitted with pretty, painted doors imported from Thailand with shelving to the side. This floor is also wood.
- The Second Bedroom is on the ground floor and has beautiful views from the triple aspect windows. There is a double door to the gardens. This room has two single beds and it also has a double SOFA BED which can be used for children should you wish it. There is a large pretty wardrobe and the very large shower room is situated next door.
Perhaps one of the most stunning features of Saltre! This was one of our first projects and we are extremely proud of it. The pool is fully enclosed in an old stone barn with the roof removed and the walls lowered. As a result it can be completely and securely locked when not in use. The pool is a salt-water one - don’t worry, it doesn’t taste of salt but the salt system means there’s no unpleasant chlorine taste. We decided that a bright blue pool was a little hard on the eye so we chose black! It looks very impressive, particularly against the stone of the barn walls. The pool area enjoys full sun.
The barn area can be lit for night time swimming and so can the pool. It measures 12 x 6 metres and has steps to one side. Please note, the pool is one level only - 1.5m. There is no ‘shallow’ end. We have put in an outside shower by the pool – no hot water however, so we’ve only used it on hot days. There is a large wooden table and chairs with a huge umbrella which makes for a fantastic lunching/dinner area. There are also sunbeds and deckchairs. In this same area there is a changing room (with loo etc) and also a fridge/freezer to keep those chilled drinks close by! Our pool is not heated however, there is a summer pool cover, which if used, certainly means a decrease in heat-loss overnight.
The views from the pool area are quite stunning – farmlands and distant hills provide an amazing backdrop with the village of Monflanquin rising up on the horizon. Those of you who can make early morning (!) must check out the view of the village at dawn – the early morning mist ‘pools’ in the valley and Monflanquin seems to rise up, it’s quite spectacular…
With such a beautiful property it’s very tempting to spend the days lazing by the pool, lunching al fresco then devouring a barbeque in the evening, but don’t neglect the local area. There are so many opportunities for great days out.
During these difficult days of Covid 19 Saltre is the most perfect place to escape the crowds. The area is calm and tranquil and has yet to be discovered by mass tourism. If it's time to be away from all the madness (but still have big views across the beautiful countryside) and you'd like to relax with only family and friends around you, Saltre is the ideal getaway.
Monflanquin (8 kms) is the nearest large village (Savignac is simply a hamlet) for a variety of family-owned/run restaurants offering many local specialities (the duck is divine!), elegant, complex dishes, menu compris (great value) and good quality pizzas/pasta dishes. There is a local wine co-operative just outside the village where various wines are available (no Grand Crus however!) made from local grapes including a delicious, light rose, fruity reds and, our favourite, a dry white. A couple of these wines have recently been awarded gold stars in Paris which has delighted the producers and makes their very reasonable prices seem even more so. The 12 Century village square of Monflanquin provides a home for the weekly outdoor market where vats of olives sit side by side wheels of cheese, buckets of flowers parade next to pots of locally produced honey. There are also a couple of bars, speciality shops, a large and well-stocked supermarket, tourist info and banks together with a small grocery store and a florists The village is a wonderful place to spend the famous Quatorze Juilllet (July 14th - Bastille Day) as the bunting decks out the village and everyone celebrates with open-air eating, dancing and fireworks. The Medieval Fair appears each August as the village turns back the clock and celebrates its impressive history.
Villeneuve-sur-Lot (11 kms) is a much larger town with many more restaurants, a cinema, twice-weekly market, and multiple shops.
For children/young adults there is a Parc au Ciel (park in the sky) which offers canopy walking, tree-swinging together with picnicking. The two nearest rivers, the Lot and the Dordogne are a short drive away and offer canoe hire, boating, swimming and again beautiful picnic areas. There is an excellent, very professional go-kart track within a 30 minute drive which is hugely popular with all the boys in our family. Prices are reasonable and the karts are impressive.
This area is choc-a-bloc with pretty villages and town which are all well worth exploring. Many hold bric a brac sales during the summer period and of course the famous marche-nocturnes (night food markets) are very popular. We always visit the one in Villereal as it offers such a pretty setting with delicious, home-produced dishes together with plenty of wine available and even music for dancing.
Our favourite restaurants in the area include La Jardin and Le Prince Noir in Monflanquin together with La Grappe and La Bastide Creperie in same pretty square. Further down the hill try La Bastide des Oliviers and further afield, Le Moulin de Dausse in the village of Dausse offers stunning, original and exciting food for a very reasonable price and to dine in their garden is so memorable. For fabulous value try the restaurant at Le Lassou - 4 courses (on Sunday's it's 5!) of delicious, home-cooked food under 14 euros per person (inc free flow wine). It's a husband and wife team and it really is an experience - suggest nothing planned for after lunch, just sit and relax!. Further suggestions will be found in our Visitor's Info book in the house.
Nearest bakery: Monflanquin
Nearest supermarket: Monflanquin
Nearest market: Monflanquin
Nearest pharmacy: Monflanquin
Nearest bar: Monflanquin
Tourist information: Monflanquin
Savignac Sur Leyze on the map
Property 169548 – Nearby place of interest
How to get to Saltre Grande & Petite
- Flying: We are very well served by 3 International Airports. Bergerac is just 30 mins drive away - and what a beautiful drive. Flybe and Ryanair are the current UK based operators bringing in daily flights there. Saltre is 1.40 mins from both Bordeaux and Toulouse airports. BA have daily flight to both cities as do Easyjet. A full range of car hire companies cover all 3 airports.
- Driving: Should you choose to drive to Saltre, we are approx 10 hrs drive from Calais. We normally use the peage (toll rd) and at the time of writing the cost is approx 60 euros to use these superb roads which offer plenty of pretty rest areas and good-value, delicious food stops. If you'd prefer to use the smaller (often prettier) roads these are of course, free of charge. There are plenty of opportunities for night-stops en route should you prefer not to drive to the cottage in one go. If you are arriving by car please contact us for a small map/directions. A very relaxing way to get to Saltre is to use the Portsmouth/St Malo crossing. This involves an overnight ferry (comfortable berths available) from Portsmouth docking into St Malo at 7 am and then a 6 hour drive. This has been one of our preferred ways of getting to Saltre. The drive is beautiful and takes you through some of the most stunning countryside with virtually no exposure to industrial towns etc.
- Train Station: Both Bordeaux and Toulouse have large train stations if you prefer to use a train to the area - this would connect via Paris. From either station you would then need to connect to Agen which is a 45 min drive to the cottage. However, please note that Saltre is very much in the countryside and therefore a car is essential.
The nearest serviceable airport is Bergerac [EGC]
|Property type||Country house (Self-catering)|
2 double bedroom(s)
2 twin bedroom(s)
1 additional bed(s)
|Suitability||Suitable for children, Suitable for the elderly, Wheelchair access, Non-smoking|
|Linen||Bed linen, bath towels and tea towels are provided however, pool towels are not. These are available however at an additional cost if required - please ask Jennifer|
|Kitchen facilities||Dishwasher, Ironing facilities, Microwave, Tumble dryer, Washing machine, Gas hob, Electric oven, Fridge-Freezer, Range cooker|
|Internal facilities||CD player, Central heating (electric), DVD player, Exclusive rental, Owner not on site, TV, Wood burning fire or stove, Fans in rooms, Hairdryer, Board Games, Wi-Fi Broadband Internet|
|External facilities||Garden, Scenic views, Swimming pool (exclusive use), Barbecue|
|Activities nearby||Adventure park, Boating, Canoeing, Golf, Hiking, Horse riding, Shopping, Sightseeing, Tree adventure park, Walking, Water sports, Wine tasting, Wine touring|
Changeover day: Saturday
Last updated on: 9th February 2021
|Available||Booked/Unavailable|April 2021 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 May 2021 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 June 2021 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 July 2021 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 August 2021 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 September 2021 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 October 2021 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 November 2021 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 December 2021 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 January 2022 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 February 2022 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 March 2022 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 April 2022 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 May 2022 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 June 2022 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 July 2022 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 August 2022 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 September 2022 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 October 2022 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 November 2022 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 December 2022 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 January 2023 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 February 2023 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 March 2023 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
No tariffs were found for this property. Please enquire with the owner for rental rates for this property
Additional price notes
- A 25% deposit is required at time of booking with the balance due 8 weeks before arrival.
- A Security Deposit of £300.00 is also due 8 weeks before arrival (to cover any accidental damage) and is fully refundable as appropriate after your departure. Should the booking be for both properties the Security Deposit will be increased to £450. You will be asked to sign a Terms & Conditions page during the booking process.
- Changeover Day: Saturday - departure before 10 am and arrival after 5 pm during June, July and August to allow for necessary cleaning. Other months changeover day may be flexible, please ask.
- Notes on prices: Prices are for the property per week in UK pounds. Saltre Petite is only available as 'add-on' accommodation to Saltre Grande. We do not offer 'shared' holidays at the house (unless you request it) therefore the grounds and swimming pool are completely private and for your sole use. Saltre Grande and Saltre Grande/Petite is available for rental from May until October - any rental prices outside of this period are for Saltre Petite only as that property is available for rental all year round.